Established in 2007 and formalised in 2010, HCDStreetwise (HD) is a non-profit, incorporated charity that passionately advocates for the homeless, needy and politically underrepresented members of our global family.
HD provides emergency relief in the form of personal hygiene items, clothing, food, blankets and backpacks to those living on the streets, people fleeing domestic violence as well as women and their children in an emergency crisis.
HD is not government funded and relies on the generous donations of cash and in-kind from community members and businesses. HD runs many projects where the community can get involved to donate or attend a fundraising event such as the Fashion Parades, Quiz Nights and Adventure on Wheels.
HD operates a boutique second-hand shop where all donations are washed prior to selling or passing on to those in need, all profits from this shop go back into the organisation to manage running costs (rent, electricity etc.) and to purchase items required our outreach programs.
HD is volunteer led and run, with a wide scope of people from business executives to those with disabilities who are passionate about helping others.
Founder, Shelley Hubon, began fundraising for the homeless while she was working at the St John of God Hospital in Subiaco. $1,500 was raised from a morning tea organised by Shelley. The hospital’s outreach program matched the funding dollar for dollar. The morning tea fundraiser was then taken up by different departments within the hospital.
Shelley eventually left St John of God to begin her own business in 2007 and continued to be actively involved in charity work. Through her charity work, Shelley was exposed to the plight of Perth’s homelessness and began her own efforts to assist those in need.
Shelley campaigned family, friends and everyone she met to donate backpacks, water bottles and any toiletries (mini soaps, shampoos & conditioners that people collect from hotels) that they were no longer using. Shelley would then package these up and deliver them to those on the streets.
Shelley began to investigate ways she could get people involved without asking for cash. These programs are still running strong today.
In 2010, HDStreetwise was formally incorporated and has been led by a volunteer committee from a diverse background of experiences.
The organisation has grown over the past ten years to include many inventive opportunities for people to donate, get involved and sponsor the charity.
HCDStreetwise operates with the business practice that 75% of any profit must be directed to the outreach programs and the remaining 25% towards overhead costs.
Produced by REQ Media, 2021
We had the chance to sit down with Shelley Hubon (founder of HDStreetwise) to talk about opshopping, sustainability, and what it takes to make a difference in the world. Shelley has big heart, and combined with her sharp business acumen, she has turned HD Streetwise into an organisation that does an incredible amount to take care of people going through tough times